As part of the extensive research I do to inform my detailed ecommerce UX Audits, I found these stats about product reviews. So instead of just telling you that you should make sure to have product reviews on your site, I’ll try to prove it.
Here are some stats about reviews…
- 95% of users rely on reviews to learn more about products.
- 90% of users want to filter reviews based on rating
- 57% of online customers are seeking websites with product reviews, while 70% of mobile shoppers reported being more likely to purchase from a mobile site or app with reviews.
- 70% of mobile shoppers are more likely to purchase a product if it has reviews
- Sweepstakes are proven to improve review generation by up to 100%
- Consumer reviews are nearly 12 times more trusted than descriptions that come from manufacturers.
- According to Reevoo, reviews produce an average 18% uplift in sales.
- Incentive keywords in review requests increase reviews by 68%
- 85% of consumers trust online reviews as much as personal recommendations.
- Shoppers rated the availability of product reviews as an important factor in their decision for big-ticket purchases.
- As for the 65% of consumers, 10 is minimum number of reviews.
- 82% of shoppers seek out negative reviews; among shoppers under 45 this number jumps to 86%.
- 42% of customers leave the feedback, while 55% who aren’t cited needing motivation for that.
- 3 out of 4 shoppers find tag-based reviews more useful.
How should you implement product reviews?
Below are my recommendations based on those research findings:
- Have minimum 10 reviews (and the associated rating) per product.
- Show a rating distribution summary, and add the ability to filter reviews based on the rating.
- Give an incentive for your buyers to write a review.
- Email buyers soon after they received their product to ask them for a review.
So, do you have product reviews on your site?
Reviews are an absolute MUST, and they will have a major impact on your conversion.
How many reviews do you have on average for each product? There are ways to get them easily.
- You can connect to AliExpress’ reviews.
- You can offer some of your products for free to friends or buyers in exchange for a review.